Life is full of challenges, and how you handle those challenges can have serious ramifications on the direction of your life. More times than not it is easier to simply throw in the towel and give up rather than face those challenges, but success in any realm of life requires that you be a warrior and press on. More so then physical prowess, this requires mental toughness. Following is a list of thirteen thoughts and actions from leadership expert Jim Rohn and published through Success Magazine that you can incorporate into your daily routine to aid you in developing mental strength.
1. Don’t waste time feeling sorry for yourself. Everyone has setbacks, but how long you are set back is dependent entirely upon how long you dwell on those negative circumstances.
2. Don’t give away your power. No matter your circumstances, you have control over your actions and attitudes.
3. Don’t shy away from change. Change is one of the only constants in life, so embrace it.
4. Don’t waste energy on things beyond your control. There is only so much your brain can process each day, so focus that energy on what you can control.
5. Don’t try to please everyone. You will never be able to, and trying to do so will be a never ending drain on your energy.
6. Don’t fear taking risks. It’s a cliché, but it is true: fortune favors the bold.
7. Don’t dwell on the past. Focus on improving the present and the future.
8. Don’t repeat other’s mistakes. Learn from them.
9. Don’t resent the success of others. Focus on the tasks that will lead to your own success.
10. Don’t give up after failure. For more thoughts on this, read the previous PEAK article “Failure is Good”.
11. Don’t fear time that you are alone. Learn to use quiet time to reflect, focus, relax, and plan.
12. Don’t feel that the world owes you something. It doesn’t, and an entitlement mentally will get you nowhere.
13. Don’t expect immediate results. Nothing of value was ever created overnight, so learn to embrace the process of growth.
Jeremiah Clark, M.A., is a healthcare IT consultant with six Epic Systems certifications. He is also
a partner at Appalachian Digital, a local web development agency, and a founding partner of
MHQC LLC Real Estate Development. He and his wife Erin are natives of Kingsport, TN.